What Is an Industrial Circuit Breaker?
Industrial circuit breakers are essential when working in industries that require high voltage. Even though residential and industrial circuit breakers serve the same exact function, they vary greatly in the electrical capacity they can handle. When choosing an electrical circuit breaker, it’s essential to select a unit with the right capacity and features for your operation in order to ensure safety for your business.
What Are Industrial Circuit Breakers?
Circuit breakers ensure that electrical operations run smoothly by acting as a fail-safe that prevents electrical shortages and faults. Every circuit breaker works by detecting potential faults in the electrical system and then interrupting that current when it predicts failure. Unlike fuses, circuit breakers don’t burn out, and they can be repeatedly reused as long as they are properly maintained. Industrial Circuit Breakers are powerful enough to be used at the highest-power manufacturing plants.
There are several different types of industrial circuit breakers:
- High-voltage industrial circuit breakers: Designed for industries with high-powered motors that use more than 72.5kV.
- Industrial SF6 high-volt circuit breakers: Widely employed in a variety of industries for their reliability in extinguishing high-voltage arcs.
- Low-voltage industrial circuit breakers: Designed for low voltage loads similar to that of a residential circuit breaker.
- Magnetic industrial circuit breakers: Use electromagnetic currents to open and close a powerful circuit.
- Medium-voltage industrial circuit breakers: Designed to handle voltage between 1 and 72kV and used in outdoor installations.
- Thermal magnetic industrial circuit breakers: Uses thermal-magnetic circuits to close both sustained and powerful instances of excess current.
How Industrial Breakers Differ From Residential Circuit Breakers
Residential circuit breakers have long been employed to prevent house fires from occurring. Before the invention of circuit breakers, homes used fuses for this purpose, but fuses are susceptible to melting the metal and wire around them. Because they were so fragile, they needed to be replaced after each interruption of the electrical cycle. Residential circuit breakers have improved the safety of home electrical systems and are a much more sustainable solution than fuses.
Industrial circuit breakers are much more complicated than residential versions and can handle far more voltage. Without the use of powerful circuit breakers, electrical distribution in industrial manufacturing would be impossible. They are an essential component of electrical safety systems and break down an electrical circuit when the overload becomes dangerous.
Because they need to accommodate a variety of uses and voltages, industrial circuit breakers are sold in numerous classifications, construction types, interrupting types and structural features. When choosing an industrial circuit breaker, it’s wise to consult with a professional in this arena to ensure the unit you buy will keep your facility safe.
Find the Right Circuit Breaker at Global Electronic Services
Global Electronic Services sells heavy-duty circuit breakers from manufacturers such as Allen Bradley, GE, SIEMENS and Groupe Schneider. We typically deliver in less than five days, and we offer two-day rush shipping for emergencies. In addition to our sales selection, Global Electronic Services offers in-house repair service, rush service, load testing and free evaluations. Call us at 877-249-1701 or request a free quote online today.