Dry Type Transformers
The electric current voltage at the power plant is high enough for long-distance distribution, meaning it is also much higher than typical electronic equipment needs. A transformer is an electrical component that will increase or decrease the voltage, according to the equipment’s power requirements, by modifying the frequency. There are many kinds of transformers, one of which is the dry type transformer.
- Model #:
- UPC #:
- Part #:
- Model #:
- UPC #:
- Part #:
What Is a Dry Type Transformer?
A dry type transformer has its core and windings in a sealed tank with pressurized air. It is considered “dry” because it does not use any insulating liquid.
Dry type transformers can be broken down further into four categories:
- – Cast resin dry type transformer: The secondary and primary windings have an epoxy resin coating that impedes moisture from getting into the winding. Moisture can damage the transformer, so this protection is necessary for high-moisture areas.
- – Vacuum pressure impregnated transformer: The windings are made from high-temperature insulation and materials that are coated with sealants through a vacuum pressure impregnation method.
- – Vacuum pressure encapsulated: The transformers are made of a silicone-based resin that generates a varnish that is resistant to salt, humidity, acid and other environmental damage. It is made by dip processes and heat curing.
- – Open wound transformer: The coils are heated, dipped in varnish and baked for curing, using a dip-and-bake method.
Uses for a Dry Type Transformer
The common applications for dry type transformers include industries that need safe and dependable power, such as:
- – Renewable power generation
- – Fire risk regions
- – Chemical, gas and oil industry
- – Inner-city substations
- – Environmentally sensitive areas
- – Indoor and aboveground substations
Common Questions and Problems With Dry Type Transformers
The main issue that dry type transformers experience is moisture in the windings. Moisture comes from humidity, dampness and temperature fluctuations in the transformer’s environment. It’s damaging to the insulation, which in turn harms the coils.
You can check the insulation, coils and auxiliary devices for contaminants, corrosion, rusting and other malfunctions. You can also conduct a test for the presence of moisture by testing the resistance between individual windings and each winding and ground on the primary and secondary windings.
Why Buy a Dry Type Transformer From Global Electronic Services?
Global Electronic Services is your full-service industrial electronics partner. We sell new, surplus, used and obsolete dry type transformers, creating plenty of options for your business to choose from. If you need maintenance on your electronic devices, we will help with that too.
Our team of factory-trained technicians will inspect your machine and make the necessary repairs using the thousands of parts we have in our facility. Our turnaround time is one to five days, with free one- to two-day rush service for minimal downtime.
Order Your Transformer Online Today
If you are looking for dry type transformers, call on Global Electronic Services. Browse this page on our website to see our many options. If you have any questions about our transformers, give us a call today at 877-249-1701. We are happy to help your company find the transformer you need.